Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Who are you if you're Funemployed?

So, you’re unemployed, thinking about converting to funemployed or you’re employed and trying to avoid unemployment. It’s all about finding some kind of security, some safety net, some assurance that you will be OK – right? Yes, funemployment sounds great – good for you Loreen, glad you’re having a good time - I’ve got a life to live and an income to generate!

So logical next steps – I’ll be looking for a job. Plus, what would I do if I didn’t have a job?!!! Worse, who will I be if I don’t have a job? What will I say to people? I’m funemployed – how embarrassing, that’s for Gen Xers – they don’t have 10 or 20 years invested in their careers – I do! Let them go explore the possibilities and stunt their career growth.

I will not suggest that you don’t look for a job or find another way to secure your financial future. Or that having a job is a bad deal, I’ve been there, I’ve done that and clearly I drank the Kool-aid! So much so, that I really thought I loved it, thought it was my passion, thought I was living the dream.

But, what if funemployment was the launching pad for your recreation? The opportunity to reinvent your career or even your life? To find out what you love, what your passions are… the sabbatical you needed to find yourself, to start living the lifestyle of your dreams? Wouldn’t that be worth the risk of trying?

I don't know about you but I was certainly tied up in the "identity" of my career. I was a corporate executive. I was important, I made important decisions and impacted the bottom line for the company (I guess not enough since I was laid off smile ). I was the "go to" person for others. I was a senior professional in human resources. I was a manager of people. I had responsibilities and projects and programs that I developed and implemented. I was somebody.

So who am I without this job? 1-800-funemployment-blogger-chick? If someone who didn't know you said, "tell me about yourself, who are you?" What would you say? Until recently, I would have listed my credentials, and corporate title, proudly discussed my multitude of amazing accomplishments and likely even handed out a glossy business card.

Now I could tell you that I’m happy, I’m confident, I’m secure, and I’m so excited to be pursuing my passion by helping other people to do the same. I’m a business owner (not an employee – yay) with the freedoms I always desired, fun exciting challenges and days filled with joy not work. I’m a daughter, a wife, an aunt, a friend, a mentor and apparently a blogger. And the funemployment journey continues!

So, there's finding that next job...and then there's finding yourself. Are you waiting on someone else to make you happy? To supply you with an identity? To give you a steady income? To give you the life you’ve always dreamed of?

I say, don’t wait…try a little funemployment journey today. I really like the person I found and the lifestyle is simply to die for…I just know you can have the same!

All the best to you in your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment